Friday, July 18, 2008

Old and New

AKISSFORJERSEY is one of my new favorite bands.  Have you ever listened to a young band that showed a lot of promise but they didn't know who they were?  Their first cd was a mess, too many styles and they just tried to do too much.  But I could tell that they just needed a concept, something more tangible to write about than simply girls and whatever else.  They have outdone themselves with Victims.  I would go so far as to say that Victims is a Christian post-hardcore masterpiece and with this album AKISSFORJERSEY defines who they are as a band.

Devices is the first single off of the album and it has everything a hardcore fan could ask for while maintaining a melodic sensibility.  Searing vocals fill the verses with shouts and growls worthy of inner struggle while the chorus's soar with a melody that feels like it is coming straight from heaven.  I know that sounds cheesy but the chorus to devices is one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard.  Another high point on the album is Salus Suas Extanderealus Conce, simply a beautiful praise song.  If you aren't a fan of screaming then this is the song for you but be careful, AKISSFORJERSEY is posed to become the new gateway drug for hardcore.  Just a fantastic achievement.

For Fans Of: Underoath, The Glorious Unseen, Haste The Day (New)

One last note, I mentioned in my last post that Emarosa lost it's talent when the lead singer left.  Well just as a preview, that talent is returning August 19th when the debut CD from AGRACEFUL comes out.  This is heavy stuff but if you are into new Underoath and Oh Sleeper, this is the stuff for you. They have two new songs on their myspace: "A Prophecy In Reverie" and "The Messengers Are Winds Pt 1".  Check it out

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I think you have found your calling in life. I still want personal recommendations.

Mike and Lauren said...

I really like this blog a lot Jon. And I still want you to call Mike about new cd's and bands. Love you