Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lowered Expectations...

I know it won't inspire confidence when I tell you that you can stream this album at www.hurley.com, but I feel like it is information worth sharing nonetheless.  I had almost no expectations when it came to Lower Definition's new Ferret release "The Greatest of All Lost Arts," all I knew was that they were touring with Destroy The Runner who happen to hold a special place in my heart.  The first track that I heard from the album is actually the last song, "Namaskar." It begins brooding yet melodic, and grows into a fury of post hardcore aggression while still maintaining the melody and it stays with you all day.

The stand out track for me is "Versus Versace," the first 30 seconds of which makes me feel like I have been thrown into a den of wolves.  But it is their understanding of effective melody that really makes "The Greatest of All Lost Arts" memorable.  The vocalist, Matt Geise has great range and a perfect scream for what they are trying to do and for what appeals to me.  He deftly avoids the temptation to push his high range too often which seems to be the new black in post hardcore. 

I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this effort and it only gets better the more you listen to it.  It probably won't change your life but it might change your mind about the possibilities surrounding post hardcore.

For Fans Of: Circa Survive, Underoath and Akissforjersey

2 comments:

Mike said...

I have to admit, the hurley.com bit brought to my mind images of all the kids in high school that I hated. But, since Jon had only ever led me astray once when it comes to music (when he recommended the Backstreet Boys... last week) I checked it out. It's good. It is pretty heavy at parts but I enjoyed it. I still don't get where you find all these good bands that no one's heard of. But well done, keep it up. Love you man.

Brian Spittler said...

I just cant get the "lowered expectations" madtv skit out of my head. Its a little hard to make the transition, but I think I made it. 7.5/10