Thursday, October 30, 2008

While Broken Hearts Prevail


Emery is a band  I had to come around on, I can admit that.  That being said however, for those of you who aren't familiar with them, Emery are musical geniuses.  They are so talented and uniquely blend their two singers gorgeous voices (sprinkled with their keyboardist's guttural screams) they have crafted a style that is all their own.  

At the risk of sounding trite the opening song "The Smile, The Face" will bring a smile to the face of any Emery fan, especially after the disappointment that was 2007/2008's I'm Only A Man. In my eyes Emery is back and better than ever.  The breakdown at the 2:10 mark of the song elicits memories of their earlier works.

My favorite song on the CD is called "Ten Talents."  The keys in the intro remind me of bad TV shows from the 1980s (but in a good way), listen and I think you will see what I mean.  The vocals are so emotive, and the song effective demonstrates the amazing range of emotion that Emery can convey.  I really get the feeling that they weren't satisfied with their last album and offered up this wonderful EP as penance.  I can't speak for everyone but I'm back on board.

As always you can listen to this album all the way through for free at www.lala.com.  It is a great website that I use often to find and listen to new music.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm looking forward to listening to the entire album. I'll let you know my thoughts when I'm done.